Participants are required to have a working webcam and a compatible browser. To ensure a smooth discussion, all participants should be screened for these requirements in advance of the research session.
The Discuss.io cloud-based software has been designed to be compatible with devices running Windows and MAC OSX, with no special hardware or software required. Linux is not currently supported.
Discuss.io is designed to work with the following browsers:
Fully supported browsers:
- Google Chrome (latest release version) and Chrome Mobile (Android only)
- Firefox (latest release version)
- Safari on iOS (Mobile devices only)
- Edge (latest release version)
We don't support any beta or legacy versions of these browsers or alternative open source builds of them. Use of unsupported browsers is at your own risk and Discuss.io is not responsible for session failure, cancellations or delays, or other problems that may occur resulting from using an unsupported software or devices to access Discuss.io.
For the best experience, we recommend users close unnecessary browser tabs and any programs that may attempt to access the camera and microphone, such as Skype, to prevent collision.
Firewalls and Corporate IT
Respondents joining from a work internet connection or work computer must confirm that firewalls and corporate IT policies will not prevent them from publishing or subscribing to video streams in their browser. It is common for IT settings to block video streaming, and most employees are not permitted to change these settings. For this reason, it is important that respondents go through a tech check prior to the interview and use the same device and internet connection for the interview as they do for the test.
Discuss.io is compatible with laptops, desktop computers, mobile phones, and tablets.
Mobile and Tablet Best Practices
For mobile and tablet devices, there are a few things to know to have the best possible experience.
- Mobile and tablet are best for 1:1 conversations as opposed to groups. This is because respondents on mobile or tablet devices will see only the moderator. They can hear any additional people in the interview but will not see them.
- Mobile and tablet users cannot view screensharing or stimuli shown on the whiteboard.
- Mobile and tablet is available only for users in the Respondent (being interviewed) or Observer roles. Moderators must join on a laptop or desktop computer.
- Android users must join using Chrome
- iOS users must join using Safari
Take note of both minimum upload and download speeds for a high-quality interview:
- Upload: ≥ 1 Mbps (recommended lowest level).
- Download: ≥ 1 Mbps (recommended lowest level).
(N.b.: Participants at lower connection speeds cannot reliably send or receive screen shares. Acceptable speed calculated based on sharing a 1024 × 728 px at 10 frames per second. )
Customers doing their own recruitment may want to remind respondents that neither they nor anyone using their internet connection should do bandwidth-heavy activities during the interview, including but not limited to:
- Streaming videos (YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, etc)
- Playing online video games
- Downloading or uploading large files
- Any standard webcam (integrated or external)
- A headset with a microphone
- If attending from meeting rooms, echo–canceling speakerphones