Websites are basically just hundreds or thousands of tiny files compiled to make up the site you see in your browser. Some of these files are saved to your browser, known as a cache. Your cache stores bits and pieces from websites you visit to make loading those websites quicker in the future. Sometimes, those saved bits and pieces can interfere with a site’s functionality, especially if there are updates. At these times, a simple page refresh won’t do. As a troubleshooting step, you may need to clear your browser of these temporary internet files, known as “clearing your cache”.
Common issues resolved by clearing cache:
- Media not loading
- Icons not loading or appearing in appropriate places
- Modules crashing or not progressing when viewing them
- Security certificate errors
- Open Chrome menu from the top right hand corner of the browser page.
2. Select History.
(SHORTCUT: Opening history can also be accomplished by pressing CTRL + H on your keyboard).
3. Select Clear Browsing Data from the menu on the left side of the page.
4. A window will pop-up with options to clear your data.
-- Select "All Time" from the drop down list.
-- To ensure you aren't deleting saved passwords or autofill form data, click on Advanced to double check your options
-- Select Cookies and other site data and Caches images and files
-- Click on Clear data
(SHORTCUT: To clear your Chrome browser cache in Windows press SHIFT + CTRL + DELETE or on a Mac press SHIFT + COMMAND + DELETE )
FINAL STEP: Close out of browser, open a fresh browser window, and navigate to site.
- Open Firefox menu from the top right hand corner of the browser page.
2. Select Options in the menu.
3. Select Privacy & Security from the menu options on the left hand side of the page.
4. Select Clear History.
5. This window will pop-up with options to clear your data.
-- In Time Range to Clear select "Everything"
-- Deselect the options for Form & Search History and Active Logins
-- Press Clear Now.
(SHORTCUT: To clear your Firefox browser cache in Windows press CTRL + SHIFT + DELETE)
FINAL STEP: Close out of the browser, open a fresh browser, and navigate to site.